Monday, February 25, 2013

Deployment - day 2 (2/25)

Day 2. Ugh. Talk about exhaustion.

I woke up this morning at 7am, got dressed (kinda, do yoga pants count as 'dressed'?), packed up the truck and then headed toward Norfolk to pick up a package at UPS for Brandon. On Saturday the lady told us the package would get there at 8am on Monday morning. Well, what she didn't tell us is that the UPS store apparently doesn't open until 9:30. Luckily, there were people working and a super sweet lady came out and told me that they weren't open but that she would check on his package. It turns out that it had just arrived and just needed to come down the belt. I waited for about 20 minutes and it finally got there and I thanked the lady multiple times for helping me out. I think she could tell I was a mess.

I loaded the pelican box with his Xbox stuff into the truck and then took off for Raleigh to see my Sophie dog. I had originally planned on going into work, but as I started driving, I decided I needed a day for myself. After the long drive home and lots of thinking, I got out and went up to my apartment and had a nice cry with Sophie by my side. It was comforting to be back home with her. I laid on the sofa for a bit deciding on what I wanted to do and decided that if I was just going to lay there I was going to be miserable.

I loaded up my car and headed to the post office. I got up to the counter with the pelican case and told the woman that I needed to send it to Bahrain and explained to her that I was new at this. She was super nice and patient with me as we filled out the paper work. The lady behind in line overheard our conversation started asking about Brandon. She explained that her husband was in the Army and she was familiar with how things worked. She gave me good advice about keeping extra paperwork around so it takes less time at the post office and that you can get the flat rate boxes for cheaper if you a sending them to a military base. She was very sympathetic and asked if I had a good support system of people who would understand what I was going through. It was really sweet. When everything was finally ready to be sent the lady at the counter said that she would be praying for Brandon's safe return as she was trying to not cry.

It has been a very humbling thing to experience all these people, even strangers, expressing gratitude and concern to Brandon and I. It means a lot to me.

At around 4:30pm, I finally heard that he had made it to Bahrain and that he was all checked in! It was just a few quick text messages, but it was nice to hear that he made it ok. It was 11:30pm over there and he said he was exhausted, so I am sure he is going to bed soon. I miss him a lot already. It's hard to not be able to talk to your best friend whenever you want. :(

As for the rest of the night? I have a hot coffee date with Stephanie and then with my bed. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment